Monday, May 7, 2012

Achoo!!

I have seasonal allergies and it can be so annoying!! Every March, it never fails that my nose, ears, and throat start to get itchy and soon after that comes the sneezing, runny and stuffy nose, watery eyes, and intense sinus headaches. The pollen, ragweed, grass seeds, and everything else that comes from nature has an effect on me and sometimes, it seems as if I have an agonizing, ongoing head cold. There are multiple remedies to subdue the effects of allergies such as eye drops, nasal (nose) sprays, and allergy medications which can come as a pill or a shot; there are also natural remedies such as neti pots and avoiding certain foods. Usually, I take a 24-hour pill and it holds my symptoms at bay for one or two days before I have to take another. My allergies can make me feel horrible, yet I've learned to not only cope, but to also always have a lot of tissue handy.
                   
                                                 
Vocabulary
Annoy- to disturb or bother.

Intense- strong.


Effect- the result of something else.


Allergies- abnormal reaction of the body to an allergen (ex. substances that do not agree with an individual persons body).


Agonize- to suffer agony or anguish.


Remedy- something that cures or brings relief.


Subdue- to repress or reduce the intensity of something.


Multiple- many, a lot.


Symptom- a sign or indication of something.


Grammar Activity
Directions: In the following sentences, fill in the blank with a word from the vocabulary list above. Remember that you may have to change the tense of the word, ex. annoy, annoys, annoyed, annoying.


1. It was hurricane season and during that time, there were                          winds.

2. The baby was very upset after having his shots, so his mother held him close to                        his cries.

3. The pain I experienced when I sprained my ankle was                         .

4. The                        of not studying was a grade of 63 for Hannah on her Geometry test.

5.                             of the flu are a fever, body chills, loss of appetite, muscle aches, and headaches, just to name a few.

6. I love my little sister , but she can be very                          .


7. At my high school, there are                         clubs I can join.


8. My little brother has an                                to peanuts.


9. One                             for a sore throat is a hot mug of lemon tea with honey.


Grammar Point
The paragraph is written in present tense with some future tense indicators. There are a plethora of nouns and many adjectives used throughout. Additionally, multiple conjunctions are also employed.

Grammar Activity
Find two each of a verb, noun, and adjective in the paragraph and write a sentence using it.


No comments:

Post a Comment